Help from Crisis
If you're homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless, you can talk to us about becoming a member. We can then help you:
- find a safe home and settle in
- learn, get an education and skills training
- find work and apply for jobs
- look after your health and well-being
- volunteer and meet new people
Find out more about what we offer
Find a hostel or shelter
Many hostels and shelters only give beds to people who’ve been referred by other agencies.
Read the general advice on hostels, below, from homelessness and housing charity Shelter if you need a hostel or night shelter now.
The Pavement magazine also has a list of night shelters on its services page.
- Day Centres
- Night Shelters
- Women’s Refuge
- Housing for 16-25 yr olds
- Emergency housing – Scotland
- The Pavement - Night Shelters
- The Pavement - Winter Shelters
Get advice from your council
Get advice from your local council If you’re homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, your local council is likely to have a duty to help you stay in your home or find accommodation.
They may also have a duty to house you depending on your circumstances, such as if you have children who depend on you. They have to provide you with advice on your housing situation and alternative housing options.
Find out more about a council’s duty below.
- A council’s duty: The Homelessness Reduction Act
- Get help from your council
- Apply to an English or Welsh council for housing
- Apply to a Scottish council for housing
Looking for private rented accommodation
Use this database to find projects and organisations that help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to find rented accommodation.
Access a specialist service
Access a specialist service If you or someone you know needs support and advice on emotional matters, your rights, money, domestic violence, benefits or being 16-25 years old and homeless, these organisations can help.
- Citizen's Advice - 03454 04 05 06
- Asylum Advice UK - 0808 8010 503
Health & wellbeing
- The Samaritans - 116 123
- The Money Advice Service - 0800 138 7777
- National Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0808 2000 247
- Men's Advice Line - 0808 801 0327
- Missing People - 116 000
Young People (aged 16-25)
- Centrepoint - 0808 800 0661
- The Mix - 0808 808 4994
LGQBT (aged 16-25)
- Albert Kennedy Trust - 020 7831 6562
Get expert housing advice
Shelter helps people struggling with bad housing or homelessness through free advice, support and legal services.
The charity also has a lot of housing-related information on its website offering practical advice on homelessness, housing benefit, council housing, private renting and much more.
- Shelter - 0808 800 4444 (free number)
- Shelter England
- Shelter Scotland
Worried about safety?
If you (or someone else) are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the Police or an ambulance.
If you or someone you know is sleeping rough in England, Wales or Scotland, around the Glasgow area, these local services offer help:
- Streetlink (England, Wales)
- Simon Community (Glasgow) – 0800 0277 466