How to get help

Help from Crisis

If you're homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless, you can talk to us about becoming a member. We can then help you:

  • find a safe home and settle in
  • learn, get an education and skills training
  • find work and apply for jobs
  • look after your health and well-being
  • volunteer and meet new people

Find out more about what we offer

Find a hostel or shelter

Many hostels and shelters only give beds to people who’ve been referred by other agencies.

Read the general advice on hostels, below, from homelessness and housing charity Shelter if you need a hostel or night shelter now.

The Pavement magazine also has a list of night shelters on its services page.

Get advice from your council

 Get advice from your local council If you’re homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, your local council is likely to have a duty to help you stay in your home or find accommodation. 

They may also have a duty to house you depending on your circumstances, such as if you have children who depend on you. They have to provide you with advice on your housing situation and alternative housing options. 

Find out more about a council’s duty below.

Looking for private rented accommodation

Use this database to find projects and organisations that help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to find rented accommodation.

Access a specialist service

Access a specialist service If you or someone you know needs support and advice on emotional matters, your rights, money, domestic violence, benefits or being 16-25 years old and homeless, these organisations can help.

Legal advice

Health & wellbeing

Financial advice

Domestic abuse

Find people

Young People (aged 16-25)

LGQBT (aged 16-25)

Get expert housing advice

Shelter helps people struggling with bad housing or homelessness through free advice, support and legal services.

The charity also has a lot of housing-related information on its website offering practical advice on homelessness, housing benefit, council housing, private renting and much more.

Worried about safety?

If you (or someone else) are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the Police or an ambulance.

If you or someone you know is sleeping rough in England, Wales or Scotland, around the Glasgow area, these local services offer help: